This delicious dish comes straight from Thailand! Authentic? Heck yes! My husband and I visited beautiful Thailand last year. One of my highlights was cooking school! The day I booked my class no one else showed up! Talk about one-on-one attention! The original recipe is slightly altered.. I wanted a low fat, completely vegan, vegetable loaded soup! :) Hope you like!
When preparing the herbs. Use the end of a knife to crush.
- 2 - 3 shallot bulbs, sliced
- 1 Tbsp rice malt syrup (or a little coconut cream)
- 3 cups light coconut milk (700mL)
- 1 lemongrass stem, crushed, tied into a knot if possible
- 1 - 4 hot chillies, lightly crushed
- 3 kaffir lime leaves torn
- 5 slices galangal, crushed (or 1 1/2 tsp powder)
- 7 snow peas, halved
- 1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced - not diced
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- 70g bamboo shoots (1/2 small 225mL tin)
- 2 - 3 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp vegan fish sauce, more depending on taste
Prepare vegan fish sauce ahead of time. You'll have more than enough. Store in the fridge for a few days (otherwise freeze for next time!). See Vegan Miam for the awesome recipe!
Add shallots and rice malt syrup (or coconut cream) to Thermomix bowl. Saute 3 mins/100 degrees/speed 1.
Keep blades running on speed 1 while adding the coconut milk. Coconut milk can easily curdle when heated and not stirred properly! Turn blades off.
Add lemongrass, chillies, kaffir lime leaves and galangal.
Heat the coconut milk and herbs until fragrant /6 mins/90 degrees/speed 2.
Add vegetables (except tomato) and cook /3 mins/90 degrees/speed 1. If you prefer softer vegetables cook longer.
Add tomato, vegan fish sauce and lime juice. Stir /1 mins/80 degrees/speed 1. Taste and adjust to your liking. Adding more fish sauce for saltiness, more lime juice for sourness or a little organic sugar for sweetness.
Remove lemongrass, chillies, galangal (if using fresh) and kaffir lime leaves (if you can find them!) :)
Pour into bowls. Garnish with fresh coriander. Can be served with rice.