Magnesium is a mineral naturally rich in cacao powder, wholegrains, green leafy vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds.
Magnesium is involved in over 300 enzyme reactions, and plays an essential role in the healthy conduction of nerves, muscle activity and the normal healthy rhythm of the heart, whilst helping to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system. Magnesium is also important for normal healthy immune function, cellular metabolism and insulin sensitivity.
In simple terms, magnesium is needed for stress, irritability, anxiety, depression and other mood-related disorders, insomnia, fatigue, headaches and migraines, cramps, spasms, hypertension, blood sugar problems, poor immunity, poor bones, excessive exercise and PMS.
Most bliss ball recipes are expensive to make, not to mention high in fat! This recipe is sugar-free, low-fat, affordable and simple to make! It contains magnesium-rich foods too!
*Note: sultanas are healthier than dried dates... sadly, the majority of dried dates on our supermarket shelves are sprayed with Methyl Bromide gas and/or Phostoxine. That's why I opted for Australian sultanas that don't undergo the same kind of chemical fumigation.
- 130g rolled oats*
- 70g almonds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 370g Australian sultanas
- 35g cacao powder
- 80g tahini or pure peanut butter
- 20g chia seeds
1. In a food processor (or Thermomix), blend oats, almonds and sunflower seeds until a fine flour forms. Set aside.
3. Blend sultanas in the food processor on medium/high until the mix sticks together.
4. Add all other ingredients. Process until mixture comes together.
5. Shape into small balls. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before devouring!
*gluten-free version, replace oats with coconut flour (if too dry - increase sultanas or add a little liquid sweetener like brown rice syrup)